There are two ways to update the firmware on the USB Tester OLED Backpack.
- Wizkers.io – Easy to use and requires the Chrome browser. (currently a bug prevents this from working on Windows.)
- Arduino IDE – Allows you to make your own code tweaks
- Download the app from the Chrome web store.
- Launch app and add the USB Tester under the instruments tab. At this point the USB Tester should be connected to the computer.
- Select FriedCircuits OLED Backpack from the list and configure the correct port.
- Click save and then click settings on the top right.
- Select upgrade firmware.
- Use get latest to download the current release. If you are trying out a beta release please down the HEX file manually and click select file.
- Finally click upgrade firmware to flash the device.
Extract it to your Arduino folder, which will extract the libraries and sketch to the correct place. You can overwrite the existing versions.
The libraries should be path\to\Arduino\libraries
and sketch: path\to\Arduino\projects\USB_Tester_OLED
If you need extra help installing the libraries you can look here: http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/Libraries
For beta firmware copy the sub folder labeled beta firmware to your projects directory. All code is now self contained.
- Launch the Arduino IDE
- Open the project
- File > Sketchbook > Projects > USB_Tester_OLED_xxxx
Plug the OLED Backpack into your computer (the USB Tester base does not need to be attached).
- If you’ve never had an Arduino Leonardo connected before and you are on Windows, you will need to follow the prompts to install the drivers. They are included with the Arduino IDE.
- Select the COM port and Board Type which is Arduino Leonardo.
Click upload (2nd button on toolbar)!
If you have problems uploading you may have to manually reset microcontroller to start the bootloader.
Since there isn’t a reset button there are two pins that need to be shorted for a second. Once shorted the bootloader will wait 7 seconds for an upload. The pins are part of the ICSP header located to the right of OLED. They should be accessed from the backside.
Short 5 and 6 for a second and that will reboot the device and load the bootloader. You will see the LED pulsate for awhile.